Pages

Thursday, 29 October 2015

Numbers 19: Do you see Christ?

Good evening, dear friends. We are looking at Numbers chapter 19, which has a lot of symbolism. Remember, much of what is in this book is similar to what was in Leviticus - types and symbols pointing towards the Lord Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for sin.

red-heifer-sacrifice
http://www.gilberthouse.org/2015/08/02/gilbert-house-fellowship-38-numbers-17-20/

Verse 2 most definitely pictures the Lord Jesus in two ways:

  • "red" reminds us of the blood, of course. There is no salvation or atonement without the shedding of blood and that's exactly what the Saviour did for us on Calvary
  • "without spot...no blemish" immediately makes us think of the lovely Lord Jesus Christ. In Him was no guile or sin yet He died for those who were filled with sin.
Verse 6 mentions "cedar wood, and hyssop, and scarlet" all of which refer to materials used in the cleansing of lepers. Leprosy reminds us of the sickness that we all have from birth...sin. We are all sinners before a holy God and in the same way that God is here making provision for those who have sinned, so He did for us by sending His only begotten Son to the cross on our behalf.

Verse 13 talks about a man being tainted and polluted when he touches a dead body and needing to be made clean. Every day of our lives, even though we have been washed in the blood of Christ, we still come into contact with the things of the world and these things taint and pollute our heart, soul and mind. We need to come before the Lord for a fresh cleansing in the blood. This doesn't mean we lose our salvation and need to be re-saved, but it means that we need to keep as close to the Lord as possible and as far from the sinful things of the world. 


  1. Oh, now I see the *crimson wave! [*cleansing]
    The fountain deep and wide;
    Jesus, my Lord, mighty to save,
    Points to His wounded side.
    • Refrain:
      The cleansing stream I see, I see!
      I plunge, and, oh, it cleanseth me!
      Oh, praise the Lord, it cleanseth me!
      It cleanseth me, yes, cleanseth me.
  2. I see the new creation rise,
    I hear the speaking blood;
    It speaks, polluted nature dies,
    Sinks ’neath the cleansing flood.
  3. I rise to walk in Heav’n’s own light,
    Above the world and sin,
    With heart made pure and garments white,
    And Christ enthroned within.
  4. Amazing grace! ’tis Heav’n below
    To feel the blood applied,
    And Jesus, only Jesus know,
    My Jesus crucified.      
  5. Thanks for popping by today and thank you to the three ladies who have given me feedback about their studies in the Word. I'll be picking one name tomorrow for the book.

Hugs, Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment