Pages

Wednesday, 30 September 2015

NUMBERS 8: Nothing less than total obedience

Good afternoon, girls! I hope you are able to enjoy the beautiful weather we are having at the minute, even if it is just by looking out the window at the bright sunshine. We are certainly having better weather than in the summer, don't you think?

I was thinking especially about the words in verses 3, 20 and 22 today and about the total obedience demonstrated by Moses and Aaron to the will and purpose of God. 


Do you have any children? Or a dog? Or even both? As you look after them and teach them, what do you expect from them? If you're anything like me, two of the most important things I expected from my children as they were growing up, were to tell the truth and to be obedient. I also remember as I was growing up, one of my mum's favourite sayings to me was "Tell the truth and shame the devil"! Now, my daughter and I are so tuned into telling the truth at all times, that we even own up and tell on ourselves!! I always said to my own two children that I would rather they told the truth, no matter how bad, than sit and tell me a pack of lies, because how would I know when I could trust them in the future. I also said if they told the truth, they wouldn't get punished (don't know how wise that was!).

But the other very important characteristic that I tried to encourage in my children was obedience. Sometimes children don't like being told to do something and they may rebel and disobey and this is very disappointing, especially when they don't know as much as they think they do. The Lord Jesus Christ talked in the Bible about two sons who were told by their father to go and work for him. You can read about it in Matthew 21:28-31. When he asked the first one to go, the son replied that he wouldn't do it, but later, on reflection, he changed his mind and did it. The second son agreed to do it the minute he was asked, but in the end failed to do as asked. Christ was making the point that it was the one who rebelled first and then repented who was the obedient one, not the one who said he would and didn't. Sometimes people need a bit of time to adjust, because their heart is rebellious and stubborn and they know they have to change their will to be in alignment with God's, but they really need to do it. When the Lord calls you in mercy to salvation by faith in His Son, you may, like Saul on the road to Damascus, kick against His leading and prodding at first but then submit your stubborn will to His perfect will. If you are not saved though, it is advisable not to delay in yielding yourself to God's call to salvation because He may not call again. Ask the Lord to give you a soft and responsive heart to His call and come straightaway, like the Ethiopian eunuch.

And what about those of us who are saved but are being stubborn in heart to something the Lord is calling us to do? Is He calling you to give your testimony at a meeting and you are making excuses? Is He asking you to forgive someone for an injustice and you are refusing to let it go? Is He saying that He wants you to wait where you are for the foreseeable future but you want to change and move on ahead with your own plans? Listen to His speaking voice, and submit your heart and mind to His will for you. Be obedient to God. He knows what's best for you!


Hugs, Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment