Pages

Friday, 31 July 2015

Proverbs 31:27-31 ♥ A woman to be praised ♥

Hi girls! Well, here we are at the end of the lovely book of Proverbs and at the end of our in-depth study of chapter 31. Have you enjoyed this book? Don't you feel that you're just skimming the surface of it, because there is so much to learn? But that's OK. We may come back to it at another time and then we can look at other verses.

I have to admit, I was never arty at school; I couldn't draw and thought I was useless at art but what I didn't know was that you can learn skills that you can use to create your own style. I've always loved craft but most of my art work comes from Rubber Stamps so when I got interested in Doodle Art, I even surprised myself! I took an online class and learned all this! Here is my Doodle Art that I've done for this chapter. I like to use it to make certain verses stand out.

You can learn these skills HERE.
Here are my few simple thoughts on these verses for today.

Verse 27. The virtuous woman is definitely not a lazy girl. She makes sure her home and family are well taken care of. This means she needs to plan ahead. Organization is the key. I have learned, more recently especially, that if I am to complete everything I need to do, I have to have a plan. I write it all down in my planner and tick it off as I go along. If I don't do this, I end up footering (?) about and wasting precious time. It's amazing how much you can actually accomplish when you write it down and see it visually. It seems to be more of a concrete thing, rather than some idea in your head that you know you need to do but never really get around to. And, ahh, the satisfaction and relief of getting it ticked off when complete! (Maybe I'm just sad, but it works for me!!!).

Verse 30. Question. Are you one of those people who worries about how they look all the time? Of course, there's nothing wrong at all with being presentable and nice but are you overly concerned about your looks? According to these verses, beauty does NOT matter to God. At least, not outward beauty. As far as God is concerned (and it's what pleases Him that we should be concerned with) it is a matter of the HEART. He wants us to cultivate a warm, loving and godly heart, not a fabulous figure dressed in the most glamorous and expensive clothes with a flawless face to match.

Here is what Matthew Henry said on this subject:
"Beauty recommends none to God, nor is it any certain indication of wisdom and goodness, but it has deceived many a man who has made his choice of a wife by it.
(Regarding outward beauty) A fit of sickness will stain and sully it in a little time; a thousand accidents may blast this flower in its prime; old age will certainly wither it and death and the grave consume it. But the fear of God reigning in the heart is the beauty of the soul; it recommends those that have it to the favour of God, and is, in His sight, of great price; it will last for ever, and bid defiance to death itself, which consumes the beauty of the body, but consummates the beauty of the soul."
Isn't this wonderful? So let's not be overwhelmed with trying to look young and beautiful, but instead focus on the details that matter to God in the heart and soul. Of course, when you shine with grace and peace, you will look beautiful anyway!

See you back here on Monday for our new study in the book of the Song of Solomon.

Have a lovely weekend.

Hugs, Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment