In this Psalm, David contrasts the wickedness of sinful man with the righteousness of a holy God. Look at the different names given to those who are against God - 'enemies', 'the heathen', 'the wicked'; these people are in opposition to the judgments and uprightness of God and His people. Sadly, it is no different in our day. Anyone who is for righteousness and on the side of goodness and truth are usually 'hated by' (v 13) those who aren't.
However, David is able to praise and joyfully worship God in this Psalm because he is confident that God does and will judge righteously on the side of truth and justice. Sometimes it takes a long time for matters to come to light and for the truth to be established but very often this will happen (remember it took 20 years for God to deal in righteousness with Joseph and his brothers). As Christians today, we need to let our confidence rest in the goodness of a merciful God. Think upon these statements that David has made about the workings of God (regarding David's enemies) and then you too can be confident in His help towards you:
- verse 3, "they shall fall and perish at Thy presence"
- verse 4, "Thou hast maintained my right and my cause"
- verse 4, "Thou satest in the throne judging right"
- verse 5, "Thou hast rebuked the heathen"
- verse 5, "Thou hast destroyed the wicked"
- verse 5, "Thou hast put out their name (like putting out a candle) for ever and ever"
- verse 7, "He hath prepared His throne for judgment"
- verse 7, "He shall judge the world in righteousness"
- verse 7, "He shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness"
- verse 9, "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed"
- verse 9, "a refuge in times of trouble"
- verse 10, He has "not forsaken them" that seek Him
- verse 12, "He remembereth them"
- verse 12, "He forgetteth not the cry of the humble"
- verse 13, He has lifted His people "up from the gates of death"
- verse 18, He remembers the "poor" and "needy"
Wow! How wonderful to have the Lord on our side! We have nothing to fear with Him looking after us.
♥ Praise the Lord for all His wonderful dealings with you
♥ Pray for those who despise God and His people (remember there are some who can hide it better than others) to see the truth of the Gospel and to come to Him for salvation
Have a good week!
Hugs, Karen x