Pages

Thursday, 9 April 2015

Proverbs 1:5 and 7 - Wisdom and Knowledge


Welcome to our study in Proverbs for the next 7 days, excluding weekends, while we wait to start Leviticus.
What would you say if I asked you if you thought you had wisdom? Some people seem to be born with natural wisdom, like they have an old head on young shoulders, people like my husband. His dad was wise and he has obviously inherited the 'wise' gene from his dad! But me, now that's a different story! In all honesty I would have to say that, while growing up, I definitely wasn't the wisest kid on the block!! In fact I made some very stupid decisions, like the day I thought it would be a good idea to make a pair of sunglasses out of a giant piece of bubblegum I'd blown! I held it up close to my eyes to try and look through it, there was a huge gust of wind that blew it over my eyes and I ended up running home blindly to my mum in hysterics. She thought I'd been burnt in a fire (really, mum?) and panicked too. Everything turned out alright in the end though and we still laugh about it to this day!

I am sure, as I look back over my life, that I definitely didn't get wisdom until I got saved. Once I started reading my Bible and learning what God had to say about all sorts of different matters, I got more and more wisdom. Then, when I got married, I learned more from my husband as I watched him and listened to him. God's Word is where we will find the answer to every problem, the solution to every need, the wisdom for every decision.
I definitely agree with the words of Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge". This is where it all started for me. Also verse 5 says, "A wise man (or woman, in our case) will hear, and will increase learning; and a man (or woman) shall attain unto wise counsels". This means that if a wiser, older Christian gives you advice from their experience, you should listen. You should seek out the advice of saved people who you would know to be wise, perhaps your own pastor, husband or a parent. But most importantly, if you need wisdom, go straight to God's Word; it's all in there!  Here are some verses to help you in times of need.

TopicScriptures
Afraid
Anxious
Backsliding
Bereaved
Bitter or Critical
Conscious of Sin
Defeated
Depressed
Disaster Threatens
Discouraged
Doubting
Facing a Crisis
Faith Fails
Friends Fail
Leaving Home
Lonely
Needing God's Protection
Needing Guidance
Needing Peace
Needing Rules for Living
Overcome
Prayerful
Protected
Sick or in Pain
Sorrowful
Tempted
Thankful
Traveling
In Trouble
Weary
Worried

Prayer matters:

  • Pray that the Lord will give you wisdom for every area of your life, especially when making decisions and choices. Don't rush into action (I've learned this hard lesson many times - I'm a slow learner!) but take your time and make sure it is God's will for you by praying over the matter and studying His Word.
  • Pray that He will help you to prioritise, always going to Him first for His wisdom, followed up by advice from godly people who you know and trust
Hugs, Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment