Pages

Friday, 10 April 2015

Proverbs 1: 8 and 9 - Grace


Good morning girls! Today we are looking at verses 8 and 9 in Proverbs chapter 1. I just LOVE the book of Proverbs, there is so much teaching in it and something to learn for every single life situation. It's amazing that, although times change, God's Word never does and it's as up to date today as it was hundreds of years ago.

Solomon, the king of Israel, would have learned much from his godly father, king David. And now here he is, passing on his knowledge to his own son. Remember too that Solomon's wisdom was a gift he received directly from God, so we can be sure it is worth listening to and following.

Verse 8. The words here imply that the parents are Christians, who follow the Word of God and who teach it to their children. Parents who love the Lord should always make sure they live right before their children (not just in public) and teach them about the Lord and His ways. Remember, children know when their parents are living right or are being hypocrites.

Verse 9. Isn't this such a lovely picture? The teachings of God are described as 'an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.' For my 50th birthday a few months ago, my husband treated me to a beautiful necklace. It took me ages choosing the right one but when I saw it, I knew it was perfect. I wear it every day, even though it was expensive. I remember someone once saying, "Why would you keep something for just special occasions and maybe never even get the chance to wear it? EVERY DAY is a special occasion, so wear it and enjoy it!". Also, can you imagine how hurt my husband would be if I just put it away in its box 'for that special occasion' and hardly ever wore it? Every time I wear it, it reminds me of his love for me and his generosity and I want to enjoy it. It's also nice when others see it and admire it. In a similar way, Solomon is saying here that the teachings from God's Word should be lived out in such a way by the Christian that His truths are evident to those around us, including the unsaved and that our lives should be so covered by God's grace that they are lovely to observe. We need to read, search, study and LIVE God's Word on a daily basis so that what we learn and apply to our lives will be evident to those who would never read a Bible. Just like my necklace, I don't try to hide it but I wear it openly and happily. Similarly, we should wear our grace with joy so that when others see us, they also see Christ living through us and the evidence of true grace in our lives.

Prayer matters:

  • Pray that the Lord will help you to soak yourself in His Word on a daily basis so that you can be a living testimony to his wonderful grace.
  • Pray that as a Christian, and especially if you have been blessed with little ones, you will live right all the time, and not just in church on a Sunday. The hardest place to be a Christian is often in the home when we feel we can let our guard down, but the children need us to be a Christian most there. Try not to be a hypocrite but be a bright and shining light wherever God places you.
Have a good weekend and I'll see you back here on Monday.
Hugs, Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment