Hello dear friends and sisters-in-Christ. Are you enjoying this beautiful Spring weather that has finally arrived?
The religious leaders were envious of Christ (v.18); this was the main reason they had Him delivered up to be crucified. Envy is a terrible sin and it leads to awful wickedness as we see in their treatment of the lovely Saviour. However there were four individuals who realised that Christ had done nothing to deserve the awful punishment that Christ was afflicted with.
- Judas, finally coming to the understanding of what he had done in betraying his Master, called the Lord Jesus "the innocent blood" (v.4)
- Pilate's wife said He was a "just man" (v.19)
- Pilate himself admitted that the Lord was a "just person" (v.24)
- The centurion and his colleagues at the cross after Christ died said "Truly this was the Son of God" (v.54)
May we never be guilty of such envy that we try to destroy another person. I often wonder how people can treat others like this.
We know, of course, that all of these sufferings that Christ went through were necessary so that we could be saved and forgiven. Although it is difficult to read what our Saviour did suffer on our behalf, we can also rejoice because He was made a curse so that we, as believers, would receive the blessing of salvation. There was no other way that we could be saved. This was God's plan right from the foundation of the world, and this is evident by the many times we read the words "Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by the prophet..." (v.9) and "...that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet..." (v.35). There are many prophecies fulfilled by the Lord Jesus Christ that were recorded in the gospel of Matthew. Aren't you glad that the Lord Jesus loved us and was willing to suffer for us in obedience to His Father's will? What love, what mercy, what grace, to a sinful people who far from deserved any of it! Praise Him and worship Him for His love to you. Consider all that He has done for you and see what more you can do for Him.
- Pray that you will never have a hurtful, envious heart against another person; or, if you feel that this is an issue that you need to conquer, ask the Lord to cleanse you in His precious blood and to help you live in a godly way, free from jealousy
- Pray that the Lord will burden your heart to do something more for Him, after all that He has done for you
Hugs, Karen x