Good morning girls! And a happy Saturday to you! Of course, this is a very special weekend for those of us who love the Lord Jesus Christ as this is when we remember His death on the cross for us and also His wonderful and miraculous Resurrection from that death. We are a very privileged people, and it is a time for us to rejoice in our salvation through all He accomplished for us! "HE IS NOT HERE, FOR HE IS RISEN!". Hallelujah, praise the Lord!
Twice in this chapter, the Lord gives an illustration about the kingdom of heaven. Let's focus on the first one where we learn that it is SO important to be ready when Christ returns.
There were ten virgins, waiting for the bridegroom to come for the marriage feast. In Bible times, the wedding custom was as follows:
- The bridegroom put on festive dress (Isaiah 61:10) and a wedding crown (Song of Solomon 3:11)
- The bridegroom leaves home with his groomsmen (Judges 14:11) accompanied by a band of musicians or singers
- He reaches the home of his bride who is waiting expectantly with her maidens (bridesmaids); the bride never knew exactly when her bridegroom would come; it could even be at night
- He leads everyone back to his own home or the home of his father
- Along the way, they would be joined by a party of maidens (friends of the bride and groom) who were also invited to the wedding
- A feast was prepared for all the guests at the house - all friends and neighbours were invited. This feast could go on for anything from 7 to 14 days.
The maidens who were waiting for the wedding party to pass by so they could join them never knew when the bridegroom would come, so they had to be ready at all times, in case they missed it. Five of these virgins were ready and had plenty of oil in their lamps and when the wedding procession came along they were ready to join in and go the house of feasting. But those who were not ready had to go and buy more oil and while they were away doing this, the bridegroom came, they missed the procession and when they got to the house, the door had been shut and they were not allowed in. Does this help you to see how important it is for the Christian to be ready when Christ does return? Just like in Noah's day, when those who believed his preaching to come into the ark, obeyed and were in on time. If you notice in Genesis 7:16 the door there was also shut and it was the Lord who shut it. Once God's offer of mercy has been extended to sinners and either accepted or rejected, the door will be shut for the final time and there will be no more opportunity to get in. This should spur us on even more to witness to and to pray for our unsaved friends and family. We do not know when the Lord Jesus Christ will return for the second and final time, but what we are sure of is that He WILL come again and then the day of opportunity to get saved will be gone.
- Pray that the Lord will show you the important truths here and the urgency of working for Him and being ready before His final return
- Pray that He will help you to be patient while you wait for His coming; all of the virgins fell asleep while they were waiting; pray that we will not be sleeping but up and doing for the Lord at all times.
- Christ the Lord is ris’n today, Alleluia!Sons of men and angels say, Alleluia!Raise your joys and triumphs high, Alleluia!Sing, ye heav’ns, and earth, reply, Alleluia!
- Lives again our glorious King, Alleluia!Where, O death, is now thy sting? Alleluia!Once He died our souls to save, Alleluia!Where thy victory, O grave? Alleluia!
- Love’s redeeming work is done, Alleluia!Fought the fight, the battle won, Alleluia!Death in vain forbids His rise, Alleluia!Christ hath opened paradise, Alleluia!
- Soar we now where Christ hath led, Alleluia!Foll’wing our exalted Head, Alleluia!Made like Him, like Him we rise, Alleluia!Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!
- Hail the Lord of earth and heaven, Alleluia!Praise to Thee by both be given, Alleluia!Thee we greet triumphant now, Alleluia!Hail the Resurrection, thou, Alleluia!
- King of glory, Soul of bliss, Alleluia!Everlasting life is this, Alleluia!Thee to know, Thy pow’r to prove, Alleluia!Thus to sing, and thus to love, Alleluia! (Charles Wesley)
- Hugs, Karen x