Pages

Thursday, 2 April 2015

Matthew 24: End times


Good evening friends. Well, wasn't there some difficult teaching here in this chapter. I've just had a conversation with my 'learned' husband about this chapter and the end times (eschatology). He tried to explain the differing views there are about some of the teachings but it's way beyond me! There are different views about the millenium, the tribulation and the Jews...all very complicated stuff!

Since I, probably like you, am no theologian, I have decided not to get overwhelmed or worried about all this - let's leave that to the intellects! Instead, there are verses here that we would do much better to invest our time and thoughts in.

  • verse 13. "But he that shall endure to the end, the same shall be saved." The Lord wants us, as Christians, to keep going on faithfully, living each day as it comes, glorifying Him. He wants us to keep on -
    • being good wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, friends; 
    • teaching our children the ways of the Lord;
    • praying for our unsaved friends and family
    • living with a testimony that shines before our unsaved friends and work colleagues
  • verses 29-31. "...they shall gather together His elect...". Rejoice in the knowledge that some day, the Lord Jesus Christ will return to this earth to gather you to Himself to take you to heaven for your eternal rest in His glorious presence
  • verse 42. "Watch therefore...". Keep looking for the coming of our Saviour, waiting patiently and expecting Him to come to bring you to Himself 
  • verses 45,46. "...a faithful and wise servant...Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when He cometh shall find so doing." There are some people who profess faith in Christ and it seems they have become fed up waiting for the Lord to come again or they feel that He'll not be here for a long time and they end up living in a way that suits them; they stop making the effort to live for Christ and just do their own thing. But this is displeasing to God. His desire for His children is that we continue watching and waiting AND living for Him faithfully every single day of our lives. The Christian life is not a sprint, it is a marathon and it needs to be taken one day at a time, even one minute at a time, seeking God's grace and strength to keep going. It would be easy to give up, to relax our morals and our convictions. But this is a dangerous way to go. Be a faithful and wise servant, and one day you WILL be rewarded for your endurance and faithfulness.
Prayer matters:
  • Ask the Lord to give you the mercy, grace and strength to live for Him, especially when it seems like you are the only one trying to live a godly life (even among others who profess faith in Christ)
  • Ask Him to help you to remember what He has done for you in saving and keeping you, so that you can continue to be a faithful and wise servant for Him
  • Pray for those in our country who are standing up for their Christian beliefs in the difficult world of business and the workplace - God honours those who honour Him (1 Sam 2:30, Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.)
I'm praying for you ladies as you live your daily lives as Christians. I know that at times life is far from easy but try and remember the words of Matthew 11:28-30, 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Hugs, Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment