Pages

Thursday, 26 February 2015

Exodus 39: Complete obedience


Hello there, hope you are well! I don't know about you, but I'm actually feeling a bit sad that we are coming to the end of Exodus. I have truly enjoyed what I have learned; there are things I got out of this study that I never saw before and I thank the Lord for that.

Before we look at the verse that stood out for me today, there are a couple of words that I'd like to help clarify for you (if you need it, that is!).
In verse 5 we read about the 'curious girdle'. I always thought this meant strange or mysterious, but it actually means something that is made up of highly detailed decorative work. Anyone who does needlework would understand this. It just means that it's not a plain belt, but one that has lots of different woven threads
through it.

Image result for coat of mail bibleThe other word that threw me is in verse 23, 'habergeon'.
This is described as a 'coat of mail', you know those garments made of metal that soldiers wore in the olden days for protection? There was a simple hole for the head to go through...this robe was the same in that it went over the head.

The verse that spoke to me today, is verse 32, "...the children of Israel did according to all that the Lord commanded Moses, so did they."  I'm pretty sure the words 'so did they' are used here for emphasis, in fact very much like the way we would say here in Northern Ireland, 'so they did'! It's making it clear that they did everything they were asked to do, with no doubts attached.

So far the children of Israel have disobeyed the Lord and His prophets on a number of occasions throughout their short history but in this case, they are to be commended for doing well. We need to be kept busy - when we're idle, we have too much time to think and we can get disgruntled. When the people were wandering through the wilderness, they moaned and complained. They didn't know how long their journey would be or where they would end up next and they had no focus. But here, they have exact rules to follow and a huge job to complete and they do it well. They were being useful and did a great work for God. It is important for God's people not to sit around doing little or nothing. Matthew 20:3 talks about people who were standing around idle in the market place. They needed to have a job. 1 Timothy 5:13 talks about the young women who have nothing to do and they end up running from one house to another, gossiping and involving themselves in other peoples' business. In John 9:4 the Saviour says these words,

"I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work."

We must keep ourselves busy for the Lord in obedience to His plans for us.

Prayer matters:

  • Ask the Lord to keep you busy in His work
  • Ask Him to keep you from getting involved in gossip or in other people's business
Hugs Karen x


No comments:

Post a Comment