Pages

Friday, 13 February 2015

Exodus 30: The Altar of Incense


Good evening folks, and happy Friday! It seems like only a day or two ago that it was last Friday...where IS the time going to?

Here we are, in the tabernacle and God is showing Moses His design for the altar of incense. The two key words here are 'altar' and 'incense'.

'Altar', as I'm sure you know, signifies 'sacrifice' which for the Christian always points to the Lord Jesus Christ. He made the ultimate sacrifice for us while we were sinners. To sacrifice means to give up or surrender something. He gave up His glory in His home in Heaven to come down to a world where He would be hated and despised by sinful man, then crucified as an innocent person. He gave up His life for you and me so that we could escape eternal punishment. As a Christian following in the footsteps of our Lord and Master, we need to think about what we sacrifice for Him already and how we could surrender more to Him. As the lovely hymn says, 

  1. All to Jesus I surrender;
    All to Him I freely give;
    I will ever love and trust Him,
    In His presence daily live.
    • Refrain:
      I surrender all,
      I surrender all;
      All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
      I surrender all.
  2. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Humbly at His feet I bow,
    Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
    Take me, Jesus, take me now.
  3. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
    Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
    Truly know that Thou art mine.
  4. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Lord, I give myself to Thee;
    Fill me with Thy love and power;
    Let Thy blessing fall on me.
  5. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Now I feel the sacred flame.
    Oh, the joy of full salvation!
    Glory, glory, to His Name!

We should be giving Him no less than our all; He deserves our whole life in sacrifice and we should be living in complete surrender to the will of God, putting aside our own wants and wishes.

The other word that is important here is 'incense'. Usually the word 'incense' in the Scriptures refers to 'prayer'. Aaron was to burn a sweet smelling incense to the Lord morning and night. It was to be made exactly according to God's recipe. In the same way today, we have a recipe for prayer as it is found in the Lord's Prayer. This prayer (which we will look at some time in the future) is not meant to be repeated word for word, but rather it is a template which we are to base our prayers on. The idea of the burning incense here morning and night is simply that we send forth sweet incense in the form of prayers to the Lord. He loves the fragrance of the prayers of His dear children as it ascends into heaven, morning and night, day by day. Prayer is so important for the Christian because it keeps us in constant contact with our Heavenly Father. If God the Son had to spend much time in prayer while He was here on earth, then we most certainly need that special time, talking to the Lord.

Prayer matters: Ask the Lord to help you dedicate yourself completely to Him, holding nothing back. Pray that He will help you to pray constantly, regularly, willingly to Him. He loves to hear you talking to Him.

Thank you for being here today. Have a great weekend and we'll see you back here on Monday for Exodus 31.

Hugs Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment