Pages

Friday, 6 February 2015

Exodus 25: A willing heart

Good evening folks. I'm sure you're glad it's the weekend again. I love Fridays and having the whole weekend to look forward to. But where is the time flying to? That's the first week of February over already.

The words that spoke most to my heart from this chapter are found in verse 2, "...giveth it willingly with his heart...". This reminded me of a few things.

Firstly, these words remind me of the Lord Himself. God the Father willingly gave His greatest possession, His only begotten Son, to be punished for my sin. He didn't deserve this punishment, I did. But such is the Father's love for sinners that He willingly gave His beloved Son to die for me.

Secondly, I'm reminded of my Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, who willingly offered His life for mine. He 'gave up the ghost'. His life wasn't taken from Him, He chose to give it. Hebrews 9:14,  "How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?"

Thirdly, I'm reminded of some special people in my family, who, by their example, are teaching me day by day what it is to be selfless and willing givers.


Do you tithe? Right from the minute I got saved, I put this very important principle into action in my life. I have never been without. Oh yes, there were times when my husband and I had to be more careful with the pennies, especially when we were first married, but this was a good thing, I see in hindsight. We always appreciate what we have and we are more likely to be aware of the needs of other people. I'm not boasting here about selfless I am; I'm just proving to you that when we give with a willing heart to the Lord, He always gives us more abundantly than we could ever imagine. He blesses beyond measure. And, please understand, tithing is not a superstitious thing where Christians believe that if they give to God, He will magically give back to them. No, the Lord blesses and rewards those who give to Him and His work with an open hand because they are doing it as a way of honouring the Lord and as a way of thanking Him for all He has done for them. We could never repay God for what He has done for us, and He doesn't expect us to try, but our hearts are so full of gratitude to Him that this is one way of serving Him selflessly. And we just don't tithe with our money; we should give willingly of our time and our talents. When we think of what Christ has done for us, we should want to give our all to Him.



2 Corinthians 9:7, "Every man according as He purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." This means that we give with our whole heart in response to our love to God and not in a tight-fisted way or just because we have to. 

Prayer matters: Ask the Lord to give you a thankful heart and a desire to give Him your all - your gifts for His work, your time, your energy, your talents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment