Pages

Monday, 2 February 2015

Exodus 21: The Lord gives laws of justice and fairness to Moses


Hello friends and welcome to week five of our studies and also to a new month! Can you believe it is February already? It seems like only yesterday we were cooking the Christmas dinner!
So, as I said on Friday, we are going to try and learn Psalm 3 over the next few weeks for our memorization verses. I hope these verses will be of comfort and help to you.

Now, I don't know about you but up until now, I was thinking Exodus was pretty easy to read as there was a story throughout the chapters. But, oh dear, when I saw what was contained in Exodus 21, I panicked a bit! How would I be able to pick out just one or two verses that jumped out at me and get lessons from them? However, once I got into the reading, I realized that all of these instructions and laws are completely applicable to today's societies that we live in. It's just that talking about servants, oxen and pits kind of threw me a bit; but once I applied it to our lives today, it became easier to grasp. I hope you are able to get something out of this chapter too because if you dig deep enough you will indeed find treasures galore.

 God has given us these laws for the good of mankind, so that we can live together as harmoniously as possible in a shared space and for the preservation of a decent, ordered society.

One of the things that has jumped out at me in this chapter is that 'the punishment should fit the crime'. God is fair and He has made it clear that if someone does something to harm another person or their property, they should be punished and made to pay back for the person's loss. Unfortunately, this is not always the case today as people who commit awful crimes seem to get away with little or no punishment. This is when the problem arises for the victim. Often they feel unable to cope with the fact that the offender has been treated so leniently, while they still have to cope with dreadful damage or loss. So how does the Christian cope in this instance? I read this quote from a book called 'Jew and Gentile serving the same God, the shocking revelation of truth'. It says, 

" Life in this world is full of injustice. Sometimes we have the power and the ability to do something about it. But often correcting the inequity we see is beyond our ability. When you find yourself confronted by injustice that is beyond your ability to correct, you can call it to the attention of the Just Judge, and in due time He will bring His justice to that situation (Genesis 18:25). God's response to your plea for justice might not come the way you want, or in the time you want, but God's justice will come, BECAUSE IT MUST COME." 

Wow! How comforting is that? I have to tell you that, especially over the past four or five years, I have seen God's justice in action. There have been some situations I have found myself in, wondering how it could ever be dealt with fairly and then God steps in, takes it out of my hands and deals with it in a way I would never have imagined. A couple of times He took action quickly and at other times, it seemed to me that it was never going to be put right. But God is faithful and just and when He dealt with it, that was it, over and done with. So, dear sister in Christ, if you find yourself in an unfair situation, give it over to the Lord. Not only will He deal with it fairly (and with your good at heart) He will also deal with it finally and fully. Try not to even think thoughts of revenge which is often the natural (but sinful) reaction and try not to dwell on it because you will become overwhelmed with bitterness, anger or despair. Instead, dwell on these words Job 37:23, "Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: he is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: he will not afflict."

Prayer matters: Ask the Lord to deal justly with situations that you find yourself in. You are His child and His priority. He cares about you. Ask Him to help you not to become overwhelmed with bitterness or thoughts of revenge; step back and ask Him for the patience to wait while He deals with the matter, in His way and in His time.

If you are in such a situation, my heart goes out to you. I know how it feels, but I also know the huge blessing of seeing the Lord step in and dealing with something beyond my control. His way is best.

Here is your bookmark for February:


Hugs Karen x


No comments:

Post a Comment